The Body Image Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
Imagine a world where children can grow into adults that feel happy and confident?
We live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world yet we have a lot of work to do in supporting families and young people to feel both happy and healthy.
It's no secret that New Zealand is facing a youth mental health crisis. The last year has also seen eating disorder referrals double, we have growing rates of anxiety, depression and teen suicide. Our kids are suffering and they deserve better.
The good news is that there is a lot that parents can do to build a fence at the top of the 'eating disorder and mental health cliff' - and it's never too early to start.
This workshop offers practical strategies for building a positive relationship with food and body, raising children who feel good, eat well and have a positive body image. A child who is confident, resilient and feels good in their own skin easily thrives in the challenges life brings.
This workshop is practical, evidence-based and delivered with a healthy dose of compassion and kindness.
In this jam-packed workshop we will discuss:
- What influences body image
- The effects of social media and strategies around managing its influence
- Why diets don't work and what to do instead
- How to support foster positive health behaviours that nurture body confidence
- What to do if you’re concerned about your child’s weight
- How to feed your child from toddler through to teens in a way that sets them up with a positive relationship with food and their body
- How to deal with sugar and other “treat foods”
- How to support children with positive coping strategies to deal with anxiety, depression and manage emotions in a positive way
- An introduction to mindful and intuitive eating practices
- An overview of the body image concerns in gender diverse and rainbow youth
- Signs of disordered eating and what to look out for, where to turn for advice and support
- A question and answer session with a Registered dietitian who is a specialist in this area.
The world of feeding children and body image is our speciality. We've created our practical strategies to help you empower your child to eat well and feel healthy. Session spaces are limited- Get your tickets today!
Presented by Rachael Wilson. A Registered Dietitian with a background in working both with adults and children. She specialises in mindful eating, body image, family feeding and eating disorders. With a background in self-compassion, mindfulness and positive parenting practices and as a parent herself she has an understanding of balancing real-life approaches, she has worked with hundreds of families over the years to support them to raise body confident children.
All funds raised through this workshop will be donated to The Kindness Collective to support their #100actsofkindness campaign. The Kindness Collective is a New Zealand charity on a mission to bring kindness to every kiwi. The Kindness Collective turns kindness into action- by providing practical, tangible, impactful solutions to problems people face in the community.
- Sold OutStudent/Unwaged$15$150$0
- General + good donation$30$300$0
- Ticket + Super great donation!$50$500$0
- Ticket+ incredible donation$100$1000$0
- ECE teacher- special ticket$25$250$0